The international committee of ASTM F42 and ISO TC261 has published a new set of ISO / ASTM 52941 standards for Laser Beam Powder Bed Fusion Additive Manufacturing. The ISO and ASTM F42 standards provide requirements for the manufacturing process, product qualification, and testing methods for LB-PBF additive manufacturing in aviation applications.
The regulations introduced in ISO / ASTM 52941 enable the qualification of 3D prints for use in civil, commercial and military aircraft, as well as in machines, transport and spacecraft.
Each major committee at ASTM is made up of sub-committees that are responsible for specific segments within their subject area. ASTM F42.07, Additive Manufacturing Technologies – Applications, is responsible for the control of 3D printing applications. The ISO / ASTM 52941 standard concerns the regulation of additive manufacturing, system efficiency and reliability, as well as tests qualifying prints produced in the LB-PBF technology for metallic materials in aviation applications.
The standards for additive manufacturing, developed in the F42 subcommittee, are the result of cooperation between the leading standardization organizations ASTM (the American Society for Testing and Materials) and ISO (International Organization for Standardization). Establishing standards and norms for relatively new additive manufacturing technology required an alliance between competing organizations.
The introduced standards falling under the jurisdiction of the F42.07 subcommittee are:
- ISO / ASTM52942-20 Additive Manufacturing – Qualification Rules – Qualification of Powder Bed Fusion Machine and Equipment Operators for Metals and Additive Manufactured Components for Aerospace Applications
- ISO / ASTM52941-20 Additive Manufacturing – System Performance and Reliability – Laser Beam Powder Bed Fusion Machine Acceptance Testing for Aerospace Metallic Materials.
The proposed new standards under the F42.07 jurisdiction are:
- WK66637 Additive Manufacturing – Finished Part Properties – Powder Bed Fusion 4340 Steel Specification for Transport and Heavy Machinery Industry
- WK67583 Additive Manufacturing – Raw Materials – Powder Reuse Scheme for Powder Bed Fusion Processes for Medical Applications
- WK73170 Additive Manufacturing – Qualification Rules – Qualification of Powder Bed Fusion Machine and Equipment Operators for Metals and Aerospace Equipment
- WK70164 Additive Manufacturing – Finished Part Properties – Standard Practice for Assigning a Classification to Metal Parts
- WK72659 Guidelines for validation of materials processes for additive manufacturing of medical devices
- WK71269 Additive Manufacturing – Qualification Principles – Quality Requirements for Additive Manufacturing in Industrial Applications
- WK71375-1379 Additive manufacturing – Qualification rules – divided into five parts, concerning incl. qualification of machine operators for the production of metal parts, working in Power Bed Fusion, Laser Beam, Electron Beam, Directed Energy Deposition technologies,
- WK73231 Additive Manufacturing – System Performance and Reliability – Powder Bed Fusion Machine Acceptance Tests for Metal Fabrication in Aerospace
- WK74302 Additive Manufacturing in Construction – Process Characteristics and Performance – Specification of Resin Fabrication Equipment Design Specifications for Residential Applications
- WK73688 Additive Manufacturing – Qualification Rules – Overall Machine Assessment and KPI Definition for LPBF-M Processes in Automotive Applications