Several days ago I have begun to describe how to build a low-budget 3D scanner called FabScan yourself. In the first episode of the series I told its history and I made a list of elements necessary to put them together. Have you done the shopping? – So, we can start to assemble it. Today, we will prepare electronics.
Assuming that my tutorial should be easy and comprehensive, I want to ask real gold mines to be understanding towards less experienced readers, for who I tried to explain everything extremely detailed. On the other hand, when some expressions sound to general, please, let me know. O.K., let’s get back to our 3D scanner.
As I mentioned in my recent article, the plate is sent to us in pieces, so you need to treat it with a soldering iron. Of course, there are four places to plug motors, but I decided to use only one. If you are lazy, as I am, you can prepare sockets to plug only one motor and a stepstick. It is enough, when you solder pins, thanks to which you connect the Arduino plate, two female battens of pins to place a step motor, four male pins to to plug the motor and two male pins to install a laser. It should look like in the picture below.
The step motor has six cables (black, green, red, blue, white and yellow). You won’t need a white and a yellow one, the rest is to install in following order: black, green, red and blue.
I guess, that its cables will be to short and you will need to extend them and finish them with a female plug for two pins.
The most complicated will be to prepare the internet camera Logitech C270.
- Remove the front panel.
- You loosen three screws, to get inside.
- Loosen two screws holding the plate with the camera inside the casing.
- To remove the plate with optics you can unplug one plug and solder the second cable, and then put them together. I decided for more destructive version and I used pincers to cut out a wedge in the casing, through which I removed the cable.
- Unblock an option of manual setting of definition of the camera. Above the lens there is an internal ring, which is fixed to the casing of optics. You should remove a glue. After that you can turn the ring. It will be necessary to set the definition manually. I will describe in in the next episode.
- You will need a drill of a diameter of 2 mm to broach two gaps, which hold the plate close to the casing of the camera.
Putting the electronics
- Put the Arduino, the FabScan Shield and the stepstick together.
- Connect the laser and motor.
- It should look like that.
In the next episode I will write how to put the electronics with the casing of the 3D scanner together.